Are you suffering from a macular condition?
This is a condition which affects your central vision. You may be experiencing blurred or distorted vision, or have lost parts of your vision completely.
We understand that living with a macular condition can dictate your daily life. You may not be comfortable leaving the house or are at an increased risk of falls which reduces your independence.
This condition will affect your central vision. You can experience blurred or distorted vision or loose part of your vision completely.
- Blurred or “fuzzy” vision
- Straight lines appearing wavy or distorted
- Blurry areas on a printed page
- Difficulty reading in low light
- Extra sensitive to glare
With our help, we can slow the disease’s progression, preserve your vision and potentially recover some lost vision.
AMD is the leading cause of severe central acuity loss in people over 50 years of age in the United States.
There are two important macular conditions:
- DRY AMD : this is the more common form and occurs when the macula deteriorates and causes blurry vision
- WET AMD : This form is more damaging and causes severe vision loss
Macular Degeneration Causes
AMD has been linked to smoking, high blood pressure, being overweight and having a family history of AMD.
Macular Degeneration Diagnosis and Examination
First , the specialist will review your medical and family history. Then, you will have a comprehensive examination which can include:
- Dilated exam of your retina
- Amsler grid to detect defects in your central vision
- OCT or ultrasound of your retina
Treatment of Macular Degeneration
With treatment, we will slow the progression of the disease, preserve vision and hopefully recover some vision loss.
To slow down the progression you can take multivitamins and stop smoking if it applies. In certain cases, we can enter you in clinical studies.
Depending on the severity, we can offer:
- Laser treatments
- Intra vitreal injections
- Eye surgery- vitrectomy